The Maccabi World Union Sports Desk is MWU’s sports center for Jewish sports advancement. It cultivates Jewish sports in the world as part of an educational process for the Jewish People’s struggle against assimilation and increasing anti-Semitism.
The MWU Sports Desk endeavors to raise the standard of sports at the Maccabiah and Regional Games.
It achieves this by locating Jewish athletes, training professionals – coaches, teachers and counselors (“madrichim”) – and organizing professional workshops and international gatherings on selected sports & fitness educational topics.
Achievement-focused popular sports events are conducted in Israel and abroad.
The MWU Sports Desk is supported by a number of institutions and organizations including:
1. Maccabi Israel
2. Israel Ministry of Education
3. Israel Ministry of Absorption
4. The Jewish Agency / World Zionist Organization
5. The Israeli Olympic Committee
6. The Israeli “Elite” Sports Unit
7. The Israeli Association of Schools
8. The Wingate Institute (Israeli sports training organization)
9. The Israeli Sports Association
MWU Sports Department's main objectives are to:
- Cultivate and encourage sporting activities in accordance with the principles of “A Healthy Spirit in a Healthy Body”,
- Organize the Maccabiah
- Encourage the holding of local and regional competitions
- Encourage and promote sporting activities between Maccabi Clubs wherever situated
- Organize activities, courses and seminars and to support and cultivate sports connections between Maccabi Israel members and their counterparts in the Diaspora.
All of the above, in order to reach the movements' goals to strengthen the Jewish people as a national body, to emphasize the centrality of Israel in the life of the Jewish people and to ensure Jewish continuity throughout the world.